Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Curry Beef Stew with Thai Peppers


Now and again, I throw a bunch of stuff in the Dutch Oven, close my eyes, and pray for the best.

Yesterday, I had to restrain myself from licking the insides of the pot. As a matter of fact, I was so excited about the stew I created that I went on ahead and am making another pot right now as we speak. I flared it up a little this second time around, and it will make your tummy sing sing sing.

For less than $12...you too can create a kitchen miracle.

After this week, I am going on a meat hiatus for about three weeks in order to get myself in better shape for my trip to China, Thailand, and Indonesia. It is my hope that when I return from those trips that I will come back with more interesting flavors and recipe ideas to share with you all. I am also going to be taking a Balinese cooking class while in Indonesia, so prepare your palate for some true delights coming to you in August.

Curry Beef Stew with Thai Peppers

2lb chuck roast with good marbling
1 large carrot chopped
4 large garlic cloves chopped
6 Thai peppers minced
1 tbs curry powder
1 tbs Adobo seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 large red onion diced
1 bunch scallions diced
1 cup white wine
1 can pink beans

First cut up your roast into bite sized cubes. Next chop up the rest of your ingredients. Place all the ingredients in a medium sized Dutch oven (or stew pot). Cover the ingredients 2/3rd's of the way with water. Then, open the can of pink beans (I use Goya's), and dump the contents of the can into the pot including the juice. (an option is to add red potatoes to the pot for a more traditional beef stew).

Cover the stew and turn the heat to medium high until it begins to boil. Once it begins to boil turn the stew down to low heat and let simmer for one to two hours (the longer you let it simmer the better the flavors). Do not add more water to the pot unless you see that the water has reduced greatly to the point that beef or carrots are going to burn.

Once the stew is done serve over a bed of Romain lettuce with a layer of brown rice on top of the lettuce (or just put the stew in a bowl and eat it up!).

This stew will change your world. The entire shebang should run you about $12 and will easily feed 6-8 people or a family of four (with plenty of leftovers).

No comments:

Post a Comment